Thanks everyone for the detailed comments and discussions.  It looks like
by now, we mostly agree with the requirements and overall direction needed
for the API, though there is continuing discussion on specific details.  I
want to highlight two new sections of the doc, which address some
discussions that have come up:

   - *Existing state and transactionality*: this section addresses how we
   will address an existing transactionality inconsistency in the existing
   Java API.  (

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GadEkAmtbJQjmqiqfSzGw3b66TKerm8tyn6TK4blAys/edit#heading=h.ofyl9jspiz3b
   )
   - *State for merging windows*: this section addresses how we will deal
   with non-combinable state in conjunction with merging windows.  (

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GadEkAmtbJQjmqiqfSzGw3b66TKerm8tyn6TK4blAys/edit#heading=h.ctxkcgabtzpy
   )

Let me know any further comments and suggestions.