Thanks Kenn.  I think there are two issues to highlight: (1) the API should
allow for some sort of prefetching / batching / background I/O for state;
and (2) it should be clear what the semantics are for reading (e.g. so we
don't have confusing read after write behavior).

The approach I'm leaning towards for (1) is to allow a state.prefetch()
method (to prefetch a value, iterable or [entire] map state) and maybe
something like state.prefetch_key(key) to prefetch a specific KV in the
map.  Issue (2) seems to be okay in either of Kenn's positions.