Hi,
Luke, Alex, I have some portable metrics interrogations, can you confirm them ?

1 - As it is the SDK harness that will run the code of the UDFs, if a UDF
defines a metric, then the SDK harness will
give updates through GRPC calls to the runner so that the runner could update
metrics cells, right?

2 - Alex, you mentioned in proto and design doc that there will be no
aggreagation of metrics. But some runners
(spark/flink) rely on accumulators and when they are merged, it triggers the
merging of the whole chain to the metric
cells. I know that Dataflow does not do the same, it uses non agregated metrics
and sends them to an aggregation
service. Will there be a change of paradigm with portability for runners that
merge themselves ?

3 - Please confirm that the distinction between attempted and committed metrics
is not the business of portable metrics.
Indeed, it does not involve communication between the runner harness and the
SDK harness as it is a runner only matter.
I mean, when a runner commits a bundle it just updates its committed metrics
and do not need to inform the SDK harness.
But, of course, when the user requests committed metrics through the SDK, then
the SDK harness will ask the runner
harness to give them.

Thanks

Best