There were 2 reasons for the failing java precommit; there was a consistent
compile break that will be fixed by
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6018 and
there was a change, presumably due to the jenkins change, in the number of
workers computed based on the number of virtual processors detected which
caused the -Xmx gradle jvm flag to decrease from 3g to 1g.

After adjusting maxWorkers (and the memory settings), the precommit passed
for pull/6018 at
https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Commit/517/

Setting reasonable values for maxWorkers and Xms/Xmx is being tested in
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6046