>> Option 3) would be to map in the docker binary and socket to allow
>> the containerized Flink job server to start "sibling" containers on
>> the host.
>
>Do you mean packaging Docker inside the Job Server container and
>mounting /var/run/docker.sock from the host inside the container? That
>looks like a bit of a hack but for testing it could be fine.

Basically, yes, although I would also map in the docker binary itself to
ensure compatibility with the host. It's not something I would suggest for
production use -- just for local jobs. It would allow the Go SDK to just
work OOB, for example.

The process-based scenario can be a configuration feature of each
SDK/runner. I see that as a useful complement to dockerized SDKs, although
the onus is then on the runner/user to ensure the environment is adequate
for the SDK(s) used in the job. The main appeal of docker is precisely to
not have that requirement, but for some deployments it is reasonable.

Henning