*How does modelling a timer as a PCollection help the Beam model?*

The largest concern was about how to model timers within Apache Beam that:
1) removed the need for the watermark hold that is typically accompanied
with state/timer implementations
2) enabled the ability to set the explicit output time to be independent of
the firing time for all timer specifications [1]

I felt as though treating timers as a self-loop around the ParDo PTransform
allowed us to use the natural definition of output watermark = min(all
input watermarks) as a way to define how timers hold output and using
windowed values that contained timers as a natural way to represent the
output time to be independent of the firing time. The purpose of the
PCollection right now is to store the representation of how timers are
encoded. I suspect that at some point in time we will have different timer
encodings.

Having this fit well with how timers are delivered between the SDK and
Runner was an added bonus. Also, a good portion of the code that I needed
to fix up was more related to the assumption that there was ever only a
single input producer to an executable stage and plumbing of timer
specifications through all the runner library support layers.

----------
*There is no "clear" for timers.*

The current Java API for timers only allows you to set them. Clearing
timers is not exposed to users and is only used by internal implementations
to support runners[2] via TimerInternals. Usage of a timer is like so:
  @TimerId("timer")
  private final TimerSpec timerSpec =
TimerSpecs.timer(TimeDomain.EVENT_TIME);

  @ProcessElement
  public void process(
      ProcessContext context,
      BoundedWindow window,
      @TimerId("timer") Timer myTimer) {

    myTimer.set(window.maxTimestamp().plus(allowedLateness));
  }

---------
I'm not a big fan of having timers as a separate field in the elements
proto. I still think they should be treated as an input/output and we could
update the representation so that inputs/outputs for PTransforms don't need
to be "PCollections". I was thinking that our current PCollection
representation assumes that we'll never want to change it to add extra
information or do backwards incompatible changes like beam:pcollection:v2.

---------
Other points:
* side inputs already require a runner to introspect the ParDo payload to
get the SideInputSpec, requiring it to have knowledge of the TimerSpec is
no different.
* multimap side input over timers where the key is the key that the timer
is associated with. iterable side input over timers would allow you to
iterate over <key, timer> pairs. This could be useful for skew control in
sources since they would want to know how far they are ahead vs other
restrictions.
* user state as a PCollection can make sense but I can't see how we can get
past problems when we treat it as an "input" since the input watermark
would be ignored or infinity?. I do agree that this could open the door to
sharing "state" such as multi-key transactions but very speculative as you
say.

1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2535
2:
https://github.com/apache/beam/search?q=%22org.apache.beam.sdk.state.Timers%22&unscoped_q=%22org.apache.beam.sdk.state.Timers%22