Glad to hear Gearpump is still alive.

It is hard to measure how much of a burden these additional runners are at
the moment. I suggest that if it comes to a point that non-trivial changes
are needed, we reach out to the list. If no one agrees to support it, we
could disable the tests and, after some amount of time with no sign of
future support, remove simply it altogether.

I don't think we're to that point yet, but it would like to hear if anyone
else has had to invest a lot of effort here. At some point we'll likely
make portability the only way to execute, in which case (if not before)
there may be a great culling.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 2:42 AM P. Taylor Goetz <ptgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, retirement is not the death of a project, but rather one way to
> exit the Incubator. There is no shame in it. The ASF isn’t the best fit for
> every project.
>
> -Taylor
>
> On Sep 20, 2018, at 7:49 PM, Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for info, I wasn't aware of what retiring meant, I assumed
> (incorrectly) that retiring = death of a project.
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:45 PM Manu Zhang <owenzhang1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Luke,
>>
>> (On behalf of Gearpump runner)
>>
>> Getting retired (from Apache) doesn't mean the end of Gearpump as a
>> project but to make it easier to commit and release for, honestly speaking,
>> a small community.
>> I've been maintaining Gearpump runner and will strive for better
>> integration here.
>> I agree we should revisit this question if the runner is too much of a
>> burden.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Manu Zhang
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 6:34 AM Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Datatorrent the largest contributor to the Apex project has closed
>>> shop[1], the project hasn't retired but development has significantly
>>> slowed down. The Gearpump project has voted to retire[2].
>>>
>>> Do people know if these runners are being used?
>>> Do people spend enough time on supporting/updating code in these areas
>>> or looking at test flakes that warrant supporting them still?
>>> Are there other runners in a similar situation as to Apex or Gearpump?
>>> Should we revisit this question once we have a larger integration that
>>> we want to do like SplittableDoFn or portability?
>>>
>>> 1:
>>> https://www.datanami.com/2018/05/08/datatorrent-stream-processing-startup-folds/
>>> 2: