My thought was to leave the asf-site branch in the beam-site repository,
add generated docs to that branch (until we have a better solution), and
have only sources in the beam repo.

Scott had filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-5459 - it would
eliminate the need to place generated docs into git repos.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:06 AM Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com> wrote:

> I believe that beam.apache.org is populated from the asf-site branch of
> the apache/beam-site repo. (gitpubsub:
> https://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html#intro)
> If we move the markdown-based docs to apache/beam, leave generated javadoc
> and pydoc in apache/beam-site, and point gitpubsub to apache/beam, then
> javadoc and pydoc will not get pushed to the website.
>
> Is there some place where we can push javadoc and pydoc files? Or perhaps
> there an alternative way to push updates to beam.apache.org? (not
> requiring the asf-site branch)
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 6:40 PM Thomas Weise <t...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> Thanks for bringing the discussion back here.
>>
>> I agree that we should separate the changes for hosting of generated
>> java/pydocs from the rest of website automation so that we can make the
>> switch and fix the contributor headache soon.
>>
>> But perhaps we can avoid adding 4m lines of generated code to the main
>> beam repository (and keep on adding with every release) if we continue to
>> serve the site from the old beam-site repo? (I left a comment the doc.)
>>
>> About trying buildbot, as mentioned earlier I would be happy to help with
>> it. I prefer a setup that keeps the docs separate from the web site.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM Scott Wegner <sc...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Re-opening this thread as it came up today in the discussion for PR#6458
>>> [1]. This PR is part of the work for Beam-Site Automation Reliability
>>> improvements; design doc here: https://s.apache.org/beam-site-automation
>>>
>>> The current plan is to keep generated javadoc/pydoc sources only on the
>>> asf-site branch, which is necessary for the current githubpubsub publishing
>>> mechanism. This maintains our current approach, the only change being that
>>> we're moving the asf-site branch from the retiring apache/beam-site
>>> repository into a new apache/beam repo branch.
>>>
>>> The concern for committing generated content is the extra overhead
>>> during git fetch. I did some analysis to measure the impact [2], and found
>>> that fetching a week of source + generated content history from
>>> apache/beam-site took 0.39 seconds.
>>>
>>> I like the idea of publishing javadoc/pydoc snapshots to an external
>>> location like Flink does with buildbot, but that work is separable and
>>> shouldn't be a prerequisite for this effort. The goal of this work is to
>>> improve the reliability of automation for contributing website changes. At
>>> last measure, only about half of beam-site PR merges use Mergebot without
>>> experiencing some reliability issue [3].
>>>
>>> I've opened BEAM-5459 [4] to track moving our generated docs out of git.
>>> Thomas, would you have bandwidth to look into this?
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6458#issuecomment-423406643
>>> [2]
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lfbMhdIyDzIaBTgc9OUByhSwR94kfOzS_ozwKWTVl5U/edit#heading=h.uqzivheohd7j
>>> [3]