I'm not going to comment too much on most of these points (as I think
others can do so better). However I think that the effort required to
migrate back to Maven will actually be quite significant. Much has been
added to Beam (both to the codebase, and to our Jenkins tooling, etc.)
since we moved to Gradle, and none of this has been added to Maven. I
believe that going back and migrating all of this to Maven will be
difficult at this point.

I would vote for option 1.  I believe that many of the current issues are
easily fixable. For example, requiring no-parallel I believe is because
some of our dependencies are incorrectly setup in gradle files, and nobody
has taken the time to track this down and fix it (it was easier to just
start setting that flag).

Reuven