JdbcIO uses the following:

      return input
          .apply(Create.of((Void) null))
          .apply(
              JdbcIO.<Void, T>readAll()
                  .withDataSourceConfiguration(getDataSourceConfiguration())
                  .withQuery(getQuery())
                  .withCoder(getCoder())
                  .withRowMapper(getRowMapper())
                  .withFetchSize(getFetchSize())
                  .withParameterSetter(
                      (element, preparedStatement) -> {
                        if (getStatementPreparator() != null) {

getStatementPreparator().setParameters(preparedStatement);
                        }
                      }));

You can see that PBegin triggers readAll() that actually fires the
configuration and fetching.

I think we can do the same in MongoDbIO.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré