Hi Austin!
Thanks a lot for surfacing this. I participated in GSOC as a student a
couple times, and loved it. This being my first time around as a committer,
I'm excited to try and help.

I think, for starters, it may be good to find issues in JIRA to label with
"gsoc", so please everyone who knows of good candidate project issues,
label them with "gsoc".

And then we can find mentors for these issues, and start helping students
in the application process.

Best
-P.