Hello,

A ‘recent’ pattern of use in Beam is to have in file based IOs a
`readAll()` implementation that basically matches a `PCollection` of
file patterns and reads them, e.g. `TextIO`, `AvroIO`. `ReadAll` is
implemented by a expand function that matches files with FileIO and
then reads them using a format specific `ReadFiles` transform e.g.
TextIO.ReadFiles, AvroIO.ReadFiles. So in the end `ReadAll` in the
Java implementation is just an user friendly API to hide FileIO.match
+ ReadFiles.

Most recent IOs do NOT implement ReadAll to encourage the more
composable approach of File + ReadFiles, e.g. XmlIO and ParquetIO.

Implementing ReadAll as a wrapper is relatively easy and is definitely
user friendly, but it has an  issue, it may be error-prone and it adds
more code to maintain (mostly ‘repeated’ code). However `readAll` is a
more abstract pattern that applies not only to File based IOs so it
makes sense for example in other transforms that map a `Pcollection`
of read requests and is the basis for SDF composable style APIs like
the recent `HBaseIO.readAll()`.

So the question is should we:

[1] Implement `readAll` in all file based IOs to be user friendly and
assume the (minor) maintenance cost

or

[2] Deprecate `readAll` from file based IOs and encourage users to use
FileIO + `readFiles` (less maintenance and encourage composition).

I just checked quickly in the python code base but I did not find if
the File match + ReadFiles pattern applies, but it would be nice to
see what the python guys think on this too.

This discussion comes from a recent slack conversation with Łukasz
Gajowy, and we wanted to settle into one approach to make the IO
signatures consistent, so any opinions/preferences?