FWIW gradle is a depgraph-based build system. You can gain a few seconds by
putting all but spotlessApply in one command.

./gradlew spotlessApply && ./gradlew checkstyleMain checkstyleTest javadoc
findbugsMain compileTestJava compileJava

It might be clever to define a meta-task. Gradle "base plugin" has the
notable check (build and run tests), assemble (make artifacts), and build
(assemble + check, badly named!)

I think something like "everything except running tests and building
artifacts" might be helpful.

Kenn