1. This is clearly useful, and extensively used. Agree with all that. I
think it can work for batch and streaming equally well if sorting is
required only per "pane", though I might be overlooking something.

2. A transform need not be primitive to be well-defined and executed in a
special way by most runners. For example, Combine.perKey is not a
"primitive", where primitive means "axiomatic, lacking an expansion to
other transforms". It has a composite definition in terms of other
transforms. However, it certainly is standardized / well-defined and
executed in a custom way by all runners, with the possible exception of
direct runners (I didn't double check this). To make something a
standardized well-defined transform it just needs a URN and an explicitly
documented payload that goes along with the URN (which might be empty).
Apologies if this is going into details you already know; I just want to
emphasize that this is a key aspect of Beam's design, avoiding
proliferation of primitives while allowing runners to optimize execution.

In order for GroupByKeyAndSortValues* to have a status analogous to
Combine.perKey it needs a URN (say, "beam:transforms:gbk-and-sort-values")
and a code location where it can have a fallback composite definition. I
would suggest piloting the idea of making experimental features opt-in
includes with "experimenta" in the artifact id, so something like artifact
id "org.apache.beam:beam-sdks-java-experimental-gbk-and-sort-values" (very
long, open to improvement). Another idea would be
"org.apache.beam.experiments" as a group id.

Kenn

*Note that BatchViewOverrides.GroupByKeyAndSortValuesOnly is actually an
even lower-level primitive, the "Only" part indicates that it is windowing
and event time unaware.