The Python SDK currently uses timestamps in microsecond resolution while
Java SDK, as most would probably expect, uses milliseconds.

This causes a few difficulties with portability (Python coders need to
convert to millis for WindowedValue and Timers, which is related to a bug
I'm looking into:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-7035

As Luke pointed out, the issue was previously discussed:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-1524

I'm not privy to the reasons why we decided to go with micros in first
place, but would it be too big of a change or impractical for other reasons
to switch Python SDK to millis before it gets more users?

Thanks,
Thomas