Since it is all trivially reversible if there is some other feeling about
this thread, I have gone ahead and started the work:

 - I made release-2.7.1 branch point to the same commit as release-2.7.0 so
there is something to target PRs
 - I have opened the first PR, cherry-picking the set_version script and
using it to set the version on the branch to 2.7.1:
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/8407 (found bug in the new script right
away :-)

Here is the release with list of issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/BEAM/versions/12344458. So anyone
can grab a ticket and volunteer to open a backport PR to the release-2.7.1
branch.

I don't have a strong opinion about how long we should support the 2.7.x
line. I am curious about different perspectives on user / vendor needs. I
have two very basic thoughts: (1) we surely need to keep it going until
some time after we have another LTS designated, to make sure there is a
clear path for anyone only using LTS releases and (2) if we decide to end
support of 2.7.x but then someone volunteers to backport and release, of
course I would not expect anyone to block them, so it has no maximum
lifetime, but we just need consensus on a minimum. And of course that
consensus cannot force anyone to do the work, but is just a resolution of
the community.

Kenn