I think all of mentioned arguments are reasonable. As Ismaël said this all
seems to be a tradeoff but maybe worth of considering.

Maybe we should think why it’s worth to introduce a tool which will make us
strictly use PEP8.

First of all, it should help with good coding practices. For example if we
will have 4 spaces and if someone repeatedly nests a lot of constructions,
then this code will be more difficult to read. So the author (hopefully)
will refactor it and maybe split into functions.

Also most of rules would help keep our future commits more clear. For
example by adding comma at the end of the list, adding new item would be
change of 1 line instead of 2.

I agree with Max, it’s understandable this may be a bit problematic in
searching git history, but I guess this is same case as in Java SDK and
spotless. Maybe there is somewhere solution to better filter that? After
fast research I found this [1] (so maybe solution is in git?).

What else actually we gain? My guess is faster PR review iteration. We will
skip some of conversations about code style. Also everything will be
formatted in a same way, so eventually it would be easier to read.

Moreover, as it was mentioned in previous emails - a lot of Jenkins
failures won’t take place, so we save time and resources.

Last but not least, new contributor may be less discouraged. When I started
contribute I didn’t know how to format my code and I lost a lot of time to
add pylint and adjust IntelliJ. I eventually failed. Currently I write code
intuitively and when I don’t forget I rerun tox.

One of disadvantages is that our pipelines has custom syntax and after
formatting they looks a little bit weird, but maybe extending the only
configurable option in Black - lines, from 88 to 110 would be solution.

Second one is that Black requires Python 3 to be run. I don’t know how big
obstacle it would be.

I believe there are two options how it would be possible to introduce
Black. First: just do it, it will hurt but then it would be ok (same as a
dentist appointment). Of course it may require some work to adjust linters.
On the other hand we can do it gradually and start including sdk parts one
by one - maybe it will be less painful?

As an example I can share one of projects [2] I know that uses Black (they
use also other cool checkers and pre-commit [3]). This is how looks their
build with all checks [4].

To sum up I believe that if we want improve our coding experience, we
should improve our toolset. Black seems be recent and quite popular tool
what makes think they won’t stop developing it.

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4112410/git-change-styling-whitespace-without-changing-ownership-blame

[2]  https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/oozie-to-airflow

[3] https://pre-commit.com