On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:04 PM Reuven Lax <re...@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Brian Hulette <bhule...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> > It has to go into the proto somewhere (since that's the only way the
>> SDK can get it), but I'm not sure they should be considered integral parts
>> of the type.
>> Are you just advocating for an approach where any SDK-specific
>> information is stored outside of the Schema message itself so that Schema
>> really does just represent the type? That seems reasonable to me, and
>> alleviates my concerns about how this applies to columnar encodings a bit
>> as well.
>>

> Yes, that's exactly what I'm advocating.
>

>> We could lift all of the LogicalTypeConversion messages out of the Schema
>> and the LogicalType like this:
>>
>> message SchemaCoder {
>>   Schema schema = 1;
>>   LogicalTypeConversion root_conversion = 2;
>>   map<string, LogicalTypeConversion> attribute_conversions = 3; // only
>> necessary for user type aliases, portable logical types by definition have
>> nothing SDK-specific
>> }
>>

> I'm not sure what the map is for? I think we have status quo wihtout it.

My intention was that the SDK-specific information (to/from functions) for
any nested fields that are themselves user type aliases would be stored in
this map. That was the motivation for my next question, if we don't allow
user types to be nested within other user types we may not need it.
I may be missing your meaning - but I think we currently only have status
quo without this map in the Java SDK because Schema.LogicalType is just an
interface that must be implemented. It's appropriate for just portable
logical types, not user-type aliases. Note I've adopted Kenn's terminology
where portable logical type is a type that can be identified by just a URN
and maybe some parameters, while a user type alias needs some SDK specific
information, like a class and to/from UDFs.