The upgrade is worth for security reasons and to catch the gRPC
improvements so really nice that this is happening.

However I am not clear if we are mixing two things here. (1) The
release of the vendored versions and (2) the upgrade of it into Beam.
I think those should be separate (obviously knowing that the latter is
more complex). My point is the vote should be ONLY about releasing the
vendored dependencies and we should not mix it with what otherwise
would be a JIRA issue for the dependency upgrade. (This was the case
in the previous release of the vendored deps)

An Apache release is usually validated from a .tar.gz with the source
code checkout of the associated commit that should produce the
artifacts, and I don't see any source code staged for validation in
the links.

All these points come from the fact that we have not documented the
process of verification and in general of release of the vendored
dependencies, so probably it is worth to do this and add it to the
release guide [1] (or as an independent document) so we can do the
validation eagerly.

[1] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/release-guide/

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:

> Pinging for PMC to validate & vote.
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 verified signatures and hashes.
>>
>> Thank you Luke.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We should verify the signatures of the artifacts.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, there is little risk in releasing these artifacts because no one
>>> consumes them yet. PR/8899[1] updates Apache Beam to start using them and
>>> will go through the regular precommit/postcommit tests.
>>>
>>> If you want to perform additional validation you can:
>>> * clone the PR and run any tests that you may want after fetching the
>>> artifacts and placing them in your local maven repo
>>> * download the artifacts and manually validate the classes only appear in
>>> the org.apache.beam.vendor namespace with the appropriate package prefix.
>>> Note that there is a unit test that does this as part of the publishing
>>> process[2].
>>>
>>> This thread[3] is an example of previous release of vendored artifacts.
>>>
>>> 1: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/8899
>>> 2:
>>> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/c775eda2df6457a784a1945d16cf781abb453d5f/buildSrc/src/main/groovy/org/apache/beam/gradle/VendorJavaPlugin.groovy#L127
>>> 3: