Hi,

I have mentioned an issue I have come across [1] on several other threads, but it probably didn't attract the attention that it would desire.

I will try to restate the problem here for clarity:

 - on runners that use concept of bundles (the original issue mentions DirectRunner, but it will probably apply for other runners, which use bundles, as well), the workflow is as follows:

  a) process elements in bundle

  b) advance watermark

  c) process timers

  d) continue to next bundle

 - the issue with this is that when we are initially at time T0, set two timers for T1 and T3, then advance watermark to T3 (or beyond), the timers will fire (correctly) in order T1, T3, but if timer at T1 sets another timer for T2, then this timer will be fired in next bundle (and therefore after T3)

 - this causes issues mostly with race conditions in window GC timers and user timers (and users don't have any way to solve that!)

 - note that the same applies when one timer tries to reset timer that is already in the current bundle

I have investigated a way of solving this by running timers only for single timestamp (instant) at each bundle, but as Reuven pointed out, that could regress performance (mostly by delaying firing of timers, that could have fired). Options I see:

 1) either set the OnTimerContext#timestamp() to current input watermark (not the time that user actually set the timer), or

 2) add OnTimerContext#getCurrentInputWatermark() and disallow setting (or resetting) timers for time between OnProcessContext#timestamp and OnProcessContext#getCurrentInputWatermark(), by throwing an exception

 3) any other option?

Option 1) seems to be broken by design, as it can result in corrupt data (emitted with wrong timestamp, which is even somewhat arbitrary), I'm including it just for completeness. Option 2) is breaking change, that can result in PIpeline failures (although the failures will happen on Pipelines, that are probably already broken).

Although I have come with a workaround in the work where I originally come across this issue, I think that this is generally serious and should be dealt with. Mostly because when using user-facing APIs, there are no workarounds possible, today.

Thanks for discussion!

Jan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-7520