On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:35 AM Kenneth Knowles <k...@apache.org> wrote:

> From the peanut gallery, keeping a separate implementation for SMB seems
> fine. Dependencies are serious liabilities for both upstream and downstream.
> It seems like the reuse angle is generating extra work, and potentially
> making already-complex implementations more complex, instead of helping
> things.

+1

To be clear, what I care about is that WriteFiles(X) and
WriteSmbFiles(X) can share the same X, for X in {Avro, Parquet, Text,
TFRecord, ...}. In other words composability of the API (vs. manually
filling out the matrix). If WriteFiles and WriteSmbFiles find
opportunities for (easy, clean) implementation sharing, that'd be
nice, but not the primary goal.

(Similarly for reading, though that's seem less obvious. Certainly
whatever T is useful for ReadSmb(T) could be useful for a
(non-liquid-shading) ReadAll(T) however.)