I also ran portable wordcount on Spark and Flink runners using
docker container images that we are releasing with 2.16.0. I was using the
SDK code from RC1 tag in github, and pulled the container image from Docker
repo as follows:

git checkout tags/v2.16.0-RC1

./gradlew :runners:spark:job-server:runShadow   or ./gradlew
:runners:flink:1.5:job-server:runShadow

In a separate terminal:

docker pull apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0_rc1
docker tag apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0_rc1
apachebeam/python3.5_sdk:2.16.0

./gradlew :sdks:python:test-suites:portable:py35:portableWordCountBatch
 -PjobEndpoint=localhost:8099 -PenvirionmentType=DOCKER

As soon as that is done:
docker ps -a  | grep apachebeam
Note the container ID of a running container. It stays around only for a
minute or so, and gets garbage-collected...
docker exec 866fb8932207 /bin/bash -c 'cat /tmp/py-wordcount*'

<wordcount output is printed>

Still voting +1.