On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 4:05 AM Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@ibiblio.org>
wrote:

> BOM or no BOM is an implementation detail.

Agreed for the most part.

> Using com.google.cloud:libraries-bom would make dependency management
> simpler for developers, but the real issue is whether Beam can continue to
> work with very old versions of the many libraries it depends on. Even if
> this is acceptable for Beam, it's unlikely to be feasible for anyone who
> needs to mix Beam code with other code.

I believe every version of Beam's dependencies has been, and should
continue to be, driven by what is best for Beam's users. That does mean
making it easy for them to use the latest compatible version of their
favorite libraries.

There should be no self-incompatibility between Google minor version
> releases. All the Google libraries in question follow semantic versioning.
> E.g. Pubsub 1.43 would be fully API compatible with Pubsub 1.28, though not
> the reverse. However there are likely to be important bug fixes in 1.43 and
> definitely new features that 1.28 would not have. If there are any edge
> cases where this is not true, that's a bug and if you file it against the
> repo we'll try to fix it. We're also installing tooling to make this less
> likely to happen by accident. However, right now any such problem is rare.

I'm glad we share the same ideals. If things were as good as you described,
then we would have two good properties:

1. Users would always be able to force a newer minor version to trivially
work around Beam's deps
2. Beam could always upgrade minor versions with no code change in Beam and
no code change by users

My experience is that this rarely works so simply. Generally, a user forces
a new version of a library and it turns out that library or its
dependencies has broken compatibility.

Just reiterating that if semver really holds in these cases, then this
proposal is fine with me. And if semver doesn't hold, I still think we
should try to support the latest, but may also need to maintain a connector
to support older versions that are still in wide use.

> Looking at Beam's dependencies, the only case where there are major
> version changes to address is Guava.

Beam has vendored Guava so it is mostly beside the point. Upgrading the
vendored Guava does not interact with any of Beam's dependencies. See
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c477d120a4c4626cbe675f8b03d84c6fe7938e36c8e2b55c492224cf@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

Only KinesisIO and the ZetaSQL-to-Calcite translator actually have
essential dependencies on Guava. In these cases, the version of Guava must
necessarily be compatible with the Kinesis client and ZetaSQL,
respectively. They may or may not be able to interop, and that is mostly
out of our hands.

The remaining issues are pre-1.0 libraries. OpenCensus is a particular
> thorn in my side. Ideally these should not be used, at all. However if we
> must, we should not expose them on the Beam API surface and we need to move
> them forward quickly as they change.

This might deserve its own thread. This sounds like it should be
well-hidden, vendored, or well-marked as "experimental".