The `changedir = {envsitepackagesdir}` setting is definitely something I
haven't thought of.
It solves the shadowing issue without needing to split tests and packages
from one another. (though I still think it's unnecessary to include tests
in the published package)

IIUC, isolated_build=True and the removal of setup.py invocation in the
current virtualenv should eliminate any Cython output files in the repo,
and no need for run_tox_cleanup.sh?