There is a very good reason not to define lateness directly in terms of the
watermark. The model does not make any guarantees that the watermark
advances synchronously, and in fact for the Dataflow runner the watermark
advances asynchronously (i.e. independent of element processing). This
means that simply comparing an element timestamp against the watermark
creates a race condition. There are cases where the answer could change
depending on exactly when you examine the watermark, and if you examine
again while processing the same bundle you might come to a different
conclusion about lateness.

This non determinism is undesirable when considering lateness, as it can
break many invariants that users may rely on (e.g. if I could write a ParDo
that filtered all late data, yet still find late data showing up downstream
of the ParDo which would be very surprising). For that reason, the SDK
always marks things as late based on deterministic signals. e.g. for a
triggered GBK everything in the first post-watermark pane is marked as on
time (no matter what the watermark is) and everything in subsequent panes
is marked as late.

FYI - this is also the reason why Beam does not currently provide users
direct access to the watermark. The asynchronous nature of it  can be very
confusing, and often results in users writing bugs in their pipelines. We
decided instead to expose easier-to-reason-about signals such as timers
(triggered by the watermark), windows, and lateness.

Reuven