I reviewed closely the runners ad it seems to me that:

 - all batch runners that would fail to support the annotation will fail already (spark structured streaming, apex) due to missing support for state or timers

 - streaming runners must explicitly enable this, _as long as they use StatefulDoFnRunner_, which is the case for apex, flink and samza

I will explicitly disable any pipeline with this annotation for:

 - dataflow, jet and gearpump (because I don't see usage of StatefulDoFnRunner, although I though there was one, that's my mistake)

 - all batch runners should either support the annotation or fail already (due to missing support for state or timers)

Does this proposal solve the issues you see?

Regarding the process of introducing this annotation I tried really hard to get to the best consensus I could. The same holds true for getting core people involved in the review process (explicitly mentioned in the PR, multiple mailing list threads). The PR was opened for discussion for more than half a year. But because I agree with you, I proposed the BIP, so that we can have a more explicit process for arriving at a consensus for features like this. I'd be happy though, if we can get to consensus about what to do now (if the steps I wrote above will solve every doubts) and have a deeper process for similar features for future cases. As I mentioned this feature is already implemented and having open PR into core for nearly a year is expensive to keep it in sync with master.