> I believe that mypy via pre-commit hook will be faster than 10s since it
> only applies to modified files.

Correct, with a few caveats:

   - pre-commit can be setup to only run if a python file changes.  so
   modifying a java file won't trigger mypy to run.
   - if *any* python file changes mypy has to run on the whole codebase,
   because a change to one file can affect the others (i.e. a function arg
   type changes).  it's not really meaningful to run mypy on a single file.
   - the mypy daemon tracks which files have changed, and runs incremental
   updates.  so if we setup the precommit hook to run the daemon, we should
   see that get appreciably faster.  I'll do some tests and report back.