In terms of pre-commit, 7-8 minutes seems worth not having to debug
dependencies that broke this in post-commit. We should look at caching
(IIRC we've long wanted to do this for pip and maven packages anyway). We
could also consider whether, for development purposes, we could build
"lite" containers that these could build on, if caching is not sufficient...