On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:53 PM Kenneth Knowles <k...@apache.org> wrote:

> -0, sorry I'm late. But I guess you are not sorry since everyone else
> agrees :-)
>
> I just don't know what this accomplishes. Most components correspond to a
> software component/codebase. The only components that do not correspond to
> a codebase are things that are sort of independent, like "test-failures"
> and "gcp-quota".
>
> This seems like a label does all the same things, since you can tag with
> multiple components. AFAIK the only difference between a component and a
> label is that Jira requires >= component (actually I bet we control this).
> Does it make analytics dashboards more useful?
>
> A hypothetical test is: when will I tag with this component? That is
> actually not so clear. If I am a Python user in the future, and xlang is
> done very well, then I may not even know that I am using a Java-based
> component. So what I want to find is either "io-python-kafka" (for the
> wrapper) or "io-kafka" (if the wrapper is so good I don't even know). I
> think the future of portable Beam is probably to go with "io-kafka".
>

> The reason I am -0 is that it is harmless to have extra components and use
> them when a label would suffice.

I get your point and in the distant future where cross-language transforms
framework works seamlessly for all major SDK/runner combinations we might
come to a state where we do not need this Jira component. But we are not
there yet :).  Given that various folks are working on and/or interested in
picking up tasks related to cross-language transforms and given that many
users may potentially start using cross-language transforms in the near
future I think the Jira component will make things easier to manage. Also
please note that we at least have one component per language,
expansion-service, as a cross-language specific component.

Labels might achieve the same thing but seems like it's harder to maintain
a consistent label across folks working on various runners/SDKs.

Thanks,
Cham