On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Chad Dombrova <chad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> quick followup question:
>

>> small correction. While the new runner will be available with Beam 2.21,
>>> the Cross-Language support will be available in 2.22.
>>> There will be limitations in the initial set of connectors you can use
>>> with Cross-Lang. But at least you will have something to test with,
>>> starting in 2.22
>>>

>> To clarify, we're not actually prohibiting any other
>> cross-langauge transforms being used, but Kafka is the only one that'll be
>> extensively tested and supported at this time.
>>

> We're currently using the Flink runner with external Java PubSubIO
> transforms in our python pipelines because there is no pure python option.
>  In its non-portable past, Dataflow has had its own native implementation
> of PubSubIO, that got switched out at runtime, so there was no need to use
> external transforms there.  What's the story around PubSubIO when using
> Dataflow + portability?  If we were to switch from Flink to Dataflow, would
> we continue to use external Java PubSubIO transforms, or is there still
> some special treatment of pubsub for Portable Dataflow?

Even when running portably, Dataflow still has its own implementation of
PubSubIO that is switched out for Python's "implementation." (It's actually
built into the same layer that provides the shuffle/group-by-key
implementation.) However, if you used the external Java PubSubIO it may not
recognize this and continue to use that implementation even on dataflow.