I am +1 to the proposal but believe it should be moved to the Environment.
I could be convinced otherwise, but would want to really understand the
details.

I think we haven't done a great job communicating the purpose of the
Environment proto. It was explicitly created for this purpose.

1. It tells the runner things it needs to know to interpret the DoFn (or
other UDF). So these are the existing proto fields like docker image (in
the payload) and required artifacts that were staged.
2. It is also the place for additional requirements or hints like "high
mem" or "GPU" etc.

Every user function has an associated environment, and environments exist
only for the purpose of executing user functions. In fact, Environment
originated as inline requirements/attributes for a user function proto
message and was separated just to make the proto smaller.

A PTransform is an abstract concept for organizing the graph, not an
executable thing. So a hint/capability/requirement on a PTransform only
really makes sense as a scoping mechanism for applying a hint to a bunch of
functions within a subgraph. This seems like a user interface concern and
the SDK should own propagating the hints. If the hint truly applies to the
whole PTransform and *not* the parts, then I am interested in learning
about that.

Kenn