Hello everyone,

I'm working on BEAM-8954[1] which introduces tox isolated_build for
python tests.
Concerning this issue, I want opinions about using .tar.gz as sdist format.

Introducing tox isolated_build leads replacement of
build-requirements.txt to pyproject.toml[2] and we should use
pyproject.toml when creating sdist because we install dependencies
with build-requirements.txt before calling "python setup.py sdist"
PEP 517 based build tools like pypa/build will help to do so, but it
does not allow .zip as sdist format[3].
Therefore I think it would be better to switch sdist format to .tar.gz
when starting to use pyproject.toml.

Are there any obstacles to use .tar.gz?
Please let me know details about adopting .zip as Beam sdist format(I
could not find discussions about this)

Regards,
yoshiki

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-8954