+dev@beam <mailto:dev@beam.apache.org>

On 5/24/22 11:40, Jan Lukavský wrote:

Hi,
I think this feature is valid. Every runner for which Beam is not a 'native' SDK uses some form of translation context, which maps PCollection to internal representation of the particular SDK of the runner (RDD in this case). It should be possible to "import" an RDD into the specific runner via something like

  SparkRunner runner = ....;
  PCollection<...> pCollection = runner.importRDD(rdd);

and similarly

  RDD<...> rdd = runner.exportRDD(pCollection);

Yes, apparently this would be runner specific, but that is the point, actually. This would enable using features and libraries, that Beam does not have, or micro-optimize some particular step using runner-specific features, that we don't have in Beam. We actually had this feature (at least in a prototype) many years ago when Euphoria was a separate project.

 Jan