I'm +1 on just adding committers to a list manually. Having the ability to
run seed jobs from a PR is nice, but adding a new committer is a rare
enough event that automating is not worth the time IMO (as opposed to
documenting this as something to do when you're a new committer). Plus this
problem goes away entirely if we move to GitHub Actions :)

One thing I'll note: there is an automation route that involves querying
the teams from the Apache GitHub org, this would require us to upload a
custom PAT though which incurs secret rotation and is more work than its
worth IMO.

If we decide to do this, I have https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/26672
prepared.

Thanks,