> Auto is hard, because it would involve
> querying the runner before pipeline construction, and we may not even
> know what the runner is at this point

At the point where pipeline construction will start, you should have access
to the pipeline arguments and be able to determine the runner. What seems
to be missing is a place to query the runner pre-construction. If that
query could return metadata about the currently running version of the job,
then that could be incorporated into graph construction as necessary.

That same hook could be a place to for example return the currently-running
job graph for pre-submission compatibility checks.