IIRC, Java has Flatten.iterables() and Flatten.collections(), the first of
which does what you want.

Giving FlatMap a default arg of lambda x: x is an interesting idea. The
only downside I see is a less clear error if one forgets to provide this
(now mandatory) parameter, but maybe that's low enough to be worth the
convenience?