Hello,

I'm Simone and I just began contributing to Flink ML (actually on the
distributed linalg part). I already expressed my concerns about the idea of
an high level API relying on specific frameworks' implementations:
different implementations produce different results and may vary in
quality. Also the semantics of parameters may change from one
implementation to the other. This could hinder portability and
transparency. I believe these problems could be handled paying the due
attention to the details of every single implementation but I invite you
not to underestimate these problems.

On the other hand the API in itself looks good to me. From my side, I hope
to fill some of the gaps in Flink you underlined in the comparison matrix.

Talking about matrices, proper matrices this time, I believe it would be
useful to include in this API support for linear algebra operations.
Something similar is already present in Mahout's Samsara and it looks
really good but clearly a similar implementation on Beam would be way more
interesting and powerful.

My 2 cents,

Simone