Thomas is right, though in my case, I encountered this issue when using
Spark's new API that uses Encoders
<https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/sql/catalyst/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/Encoder.scala>
not
just for serialization but also for "translating" the object into a schema
of optimized execution with Tungsten
<https://databricks.com/blog/2015/04/28/project-tungsten-bringing-spark-closer-to-bare-metal.html>.

I this case I'm using Kryo and I've solved this by registering (in Spark
not Beam) custom serializers from https://github.com/magro/kryo-serializers
I would consider (in the future) to implement Encoders with the help of
Coders but I still didn't wrap my mind around this.