BEAM-315 is definitely important. Normally, I'd always advocate for holding
the release to pick that fix. For the very first release, however, I'd
prefer to proceed to get something out there and test the process. As you
said, we can address this rather quickly once we have the fix merged in.

In terms of Maven coordinates, there are two basic approaches:
* flat structure, where artifacts live under "org.apache.beam" group and
are differentiated by their artifact id.
* hierarchical structure, where we use different groups for different types
of artifacts (org.apache.beam.sdks; org.apache.beam.runners).

There are pros and cons on the both sides of the argument. Different
projects made different choices. Flat structure is easier to find and
navigate, but often breaks down with too many artifacts. Hierarchical
structure is just the opposite.

On my end, the only important thing is consistency. We used to have it, and
it got broken by PR #365. This part should be fixed -- we should either
finish the vision of the hierarchical structure, or rollback that PR to get
back to a fully flat structure.

My general biases tend to be:
* hierarchical structure, since we have many artifacts already.
* short identifiers; no need to repeat a part of the group id in the
artifact id.