yeah I think that we would be SO MUCH better off if we worked with an
out-of-the-box IDE. We don't even distribute an IntelliJ/Eclipse config
file right now, and I'd like to not have to.

But, ugh, it will mess up ongoing PRs. I guess committers could fix them in
merge, or we could just make proposers rebase. (Since committers are most
proposers, probably little harm in the latter).