I generally agree with Kenneth.

While working on the SparkRunnerV2 branch, it was a pain - i avoided
frequent merges to avoid trivial PRs, but it cost me with very large and
non-trivial merges later.
I think that frequent merges for feature-branches should most of the time
be trivial (no conflicts) and a committer should be allowed to self-merge
once tests pass.
As for conflicts, even for the smallest once I'd go with review just so
it's very clear when self-merging is OK - we can always revisit this later
and further discuss if we think we can improve this process.

I guess +1 from me.

Thanks,
Amit.