Hello,

I just saw your interesting project for OpenOffice. I congratulate you
for the initiative. I think it is a key application to allow scholars
to use OO.

I only have one disagreement regarding the design of the system. I
believe your system would be much more powerful, simpler, and useful
if it sticks to the Bibtex file format rather than implementing a new
one.

The benefits of this are many:

- The work is already done. This is a working format, thoroughly
tested, with tens or hundreds of thousand users. In fact it is the de
facto standard for serious academic writers.

- Processing Bibtex format it is faster than XML.

- It will also be faster to program. No need to call any library or
develop a new one. You can even copy & paste code from other open
source projects that manipulate Bibtex.

And these are the two most important reasons:

- You would simplify the life of people that start writing a paper in
OpenOffice and when the complexity is high move to Latex. No need to
translate the bibliography. In fact, most people would probably have
just one file with all their citations for all their papers. It is a
great simplification. There are users that need to move back and forth
between Latex and a word processor.

- There are many systems and websites developed that as part of their
work translate bibliographies to Bibtex. Many of the online reference
services (like citeseer) or even libraries, already output Bibtex. For
all these third parties to move to the new format it would take
forever.

Finally, more philosophical arguments:

- It is against the spirit of open source to fork. Especially when the
previous solution is good.

- This is the opportunity to strengthen the position of Bibtex. You
would contribute to living in a simpler world. No need to have several
backends. Just one, plain text and terse, very in the spirit of Unix.

- Even if the Bibliographic project develops good import and export
filters (which will mean extra work). The chore of importing,
exporting, and synchronizing, will be costly for the end users.

Sorry for the long posting. But I think this is the right moment to
reconsider the formats decision.

I congratulate you again for the project and wish you luck whatever you decide.

Felipe