I saw Jun He branched off branch-1.3.  This may due to I suggested him to
proceed on the release steps[1].

Take this chance I'd like to discuss when's the right time to branch off
release.

I prefer not to actually branch off too early cause we still need to work
on several patches for 1.3 release. If we branch off this early then we
need to cherry-pick patches between branches. Although that's also doable,
we need to spend extra effort to maintain up coming patches for the master
and 1.3 branch.

My experience previously doing release is to branch off when I need to
release a RC. RC may go from RC1 to RC3 or else. So for patches coming
after RC, I'll pick them into release branch only if it fixes the issue for
release. Of course, this way works just because we've relatively smaller
scale of patches to deal with. For those large projects such as Hadoop and
HBase, strict branch control prevents various feature interferes each other.

Evans

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+release