Last thursday, we a had a short discussion about possibly changing the
merge process to allow unsquashed commits and the use of the github
merge button.  One sticking point is that we'd like an automatic way
to enforce some commit message metadata requirements and formatting.

Git lets you define some hooks for validating commits and commit
messages locally, see
https://git-scm.com/book/gr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks.
Specifically, you can define a commit-msg hook which gets to validate
the file containing the commit message before allowing the commit.  I
think https://developer.github.com/webhooks/ can be leveraged to do
the same checks on a github PR prior to allowing the PR to be merged,
but haven't had time yet to figure out precisely how.
-Sam