I don't have the read only mode on disk full feature yet.  I will look at
pulling it back to our fork, but I will also look at fixing the journaling
in general.  Having spoken with the HDFS team here, they have seen a lot of
scary things that appear similar to this situation when a disk starts to go
bad. It would probably be in our best interest to guard against some of
those things on the bookies too.  Thanks again