I think both approaches are viable, but I think that the max allowable
version is more naturally a bk cluster property rather than a bk client
property.  Controlling this from the client means that the same client
version deployed to two different clusters might need different settings
depending on the other clients deployed to those clusters.  Placing it in
the metadata means that the clients simply pick up the correct version for
the environment from the ledger metadata without needing additional
configuration.  However, client config management is likely to be managed
on a per-cluster basis anyway, so in practice there may be little
difference.
-Sam

--

<http://smart.salesforce.com/sig/sjust//us_mb/default/link.html>