I am rather indifferent about the change.
There was an attempt in the to implement something similar:
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/851

It was abandoned, as I remember, because the company where the author
worked had chosen to use REST API and cron to run enable/disable
compaction.

So you already can disable the compaction on schedule just not via bookie
configuration.

I'd support a mechanism that would dynamically pause/resume major/minor
compaction if the load on bookie is high (e.g. as tracked by pending
requests or request queue latency) if the disk space is enough.

--
Andrey Yegorov