Hi team,

I would like to discuss the potential backporting of a recently
introduced feature from the BookKeeper 4.17.0 release to the 4.16.x
branch, which is used in Pulsar 3.0 LTS. The feature in question is
the `dbStorage_readAheadCacheBatchBytesSize` configuration option,
added through PR [1]. This configuration limits the prefetch size of
the server read cache from the ledger disk.

Upon testing, I found that this new configuration significantly
improves catch-up read latency. Given that Pulsar 3.0 is a Long-Term
Support (LTS) version and relies on BookKeeper 4.16.x, incorporating
this feature could provide substantial benefits to users of this
version.

Importantly, this configuration is disabled by default, ensuring that
its introduction to the 4.16.x branch would not lead to breaking
changes. This makes it a safe candidate for cherry-picking to
branch-4.16.

I believe this enhancement will provide a tangible improvement to the
performance of Pulsar 3.0 LTS. I would appreciate any feedback or
concerns regarding this proposal.

Thank you for considering this improvement.

Best regards,
Hang

[1] https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/3895