Hi all,

TL;DR: I'd like to change the defaults for an app so that it is "down" and "on-fire" if any of its children are failed.

_*Current Situation*_
Currently in Brooklyn, it is surprising what values are set for an app's "service.isUp" and its "service.state" sensors: * If any of the app's children are "isUp=true" (or if it has no children), then the app sets itself as "isUp=true". * If any of the children report "state=on_fire", then the app sets itself as "state=on_fire".

Note the inconsistency: if one of two children are healthy, then the app is "isUp=true && state=on_fire".

This behaviour of "quorum" for children/members is controlled by an enricher, which can be easily configured in Java but not in YAML.

_*Proposal*_
We should change the default quorum behaviour for apps, to require all of the app's children to be up. I'd argue that is the most common reason that it has those children.

We should make this more easily configurable through config keys on the app, so one can easily change the defaults. For example, to get the old behaviour:

   services:
   - type: org.apache.brooklyn.entity.stock.BasicApplication
      brooklyn.config:
        quorum.up: atLeastOneUnlessEmpty
        quorum.running: all
      brooklyn.children:

Would this change negatively affect any existing apps? Are there more use-cases where the default of "atLeastOneUnlessEmpty" is more sensible than "all"?

See https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/407 for an implementation of this.

Aled