Thanks for raising this topic Alex, I think it is certainly worthwhile to
try and reduce the amount of time PRs are spent waiting for a review.

I know I am a bit late to the party here, as I see Richard is trying to get
a consensus. However, I have spent a bit of time the last couple of days
doing some analysis of git repos and don't want the observations to go to
waste.

There are two things here I want to mention; the meta question about the
eyeball test and the YOML PR.

------------------------------
The Metaquestion/Eyeball test

> I haven't done as much review as I'd like, but the code is clearly
> helpful, not risky or obviously wrong  or breaking compatibility, it has
> good test coverage, and we can reasonably expect the contributor or
> committers to maintain it.  Leaving open a bit longer in case someone else
> wants to review more but if nothing further in the next few days, let's
> merge.

Reading it through, I don't see why this is an eyeball test. Your checks
are:
1) helpful
2) nothing risky/obviously wrong/breaking compatibility
3) good test coverage
4) we can reasonably expect the contributor or committers to maintain it

In my opinion, If a PR passes these checks, then we have reviewed it.
Essentially, I think our standards for a review are too high. For instance,
I don't think there is necessarily a need to check out the code and test
it- which we often do. I'd maybe add follows best practices to that list as
well. So I am all in favour of an eyeball test, or reducing the standard
for review.

------------------------------
YOML PR

To address this separately. Yes, we do sometimes have PRs sitting around
for awhile. In my opinion these are often either large, or WIP PRs. To
address why it is taking a while to review, we have to look at those PRs.
In my opinion, these PRs are too big to actually review. I've tried a
couple of times to understand YOML, but I just can't wrap my head around
it. If I was applying the eyeball criteria to it, I wouldn't be able to say
that it ticks off (1) and (2) without spending a lot more time.

I wanted to double check whether or not my statement about this PR being
too big was accurate, so I used the github API to do some research. I
picked brooklyn-server and 4 other open source repos. Some quite mature
like spark, and some less so like Kubernetes. I looked at the last 500 prs
that were closed, sorted by the number of additions and removed any
mistakes (there were quite a few broken PRs).

Top Ten biggest PRs
K8s JClouds Kafka Brooklyn Server Spark
5303 28932 7417 2670 1049
4064 11622 5271 2600 749
2901 4302 4452 2186 710
2896 3665 4208 1956 682
2079 3004 3837 1952 677
2043 1660 3681 1870 642
1939 1523 3549 1620 616
1763 1419 3124 1619 571
1647 1363 2515 1619 569
1606 1294 2165 1543 547
It's also worth looking at the average and standard deviation for these
repos (again, last 500 closed PRs with obvious mistakes removed)

Avg + Std dev
K8s JClouds Kafka Brooklyn Server Spark
Average 104.85 206.41 204.65 199.63 62.52
StdDev 418.90 1,428.16 640.85 358.36 121.54

I have put some notes on my working at [1].

Looking at this data, it is clear that the YOML PR, which clocks in at 12,758
additions, is an outlier. It's a record for Brooklyn and outstrips the
other repos that I was looking at. There was only one with more lines
changed (and one other that was close):
1) "JCLOUDS-172: Promote Google Compute Engine", 28932, https://github
.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/787
2) "Promoted Docker", 11622, https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/1002

Both of these are adding standalone extensions to the project that were
developed in JClouds labs first and then merged into master later.  So
there would have been multiple PRs/reviews before that got into master. In
fact, a number of the large PRs in JClouds are like this (hence the rather
large standard deviation).

Looking at the standard deviation as well it seems that PR's that go into
the thousands are rare and into the tens of thousands exceedingly rare.

So, there are two points I'd like to make.

Firstly, it may be worthwhile looking into how JClouds approaches these
large code additions and maybe follow a similar process for YOML. I wonder
if we can separate it out, develop it outside of Brooklyn-Server master and
then merge back in later. Maybe Andrea, or Svet or one of the other JClouds
committers could shed some light on the JClouds labs process and if it
could apply here.

Secondly, you're right to be annoyed that it has taken 7 months. I think
you should have received a response much sooner- but that response should
have been to say it is too big, and we need a plan for handling it
differently. IMHO, it seems that no-one felt comfortable commenting on the
PR and making this point, and that is part of the issue here. It was just
sort of left in limbo which isn't great for the PR raiser or the community.
So, I favour any suggestions on how to deal with these kind of situations
that further empower Brooklyn reviewers to comment on PRs like this to
raise concerns and/or ask for simplification/re-work/labs approach.

Lastly, I don't just want to single out your YOML PR here as this certainly
isn't a unique situation. Any PR which enters into the multiple thousands
of lines added is in my opinion getting too big to review- and you're not
the only one to create a PR like that!

Regards,
Graeme Miller

[1] In the interests of transparency, full data set here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zDXyhs9AOW1s3f
0Zhd3oZlAW4nKdn7hLPd-118zwPhw/edit?usp=sharing
Some notes:
*) I had to manually remove PRs from the data set that were obviously
broken (e.g. Spark 17547 <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17547>) or
were part of some greater release process (Kubernetes 44824
<https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/44824>). I have tried to do
this fairly, however there is a chance that things were removed that
shouldn't be, or things were left in that shouldn't be.
*) I tried to stick to Apache Repos. Apache doesn't host the repos on
github, it mirrors them there. Because of this it is not clear what was
closed and what was merged. The data should be thought of as containing
closed PRs not merged PRs.
*) I used the pygithub library to get this data. Code here:

> g = Github(login_or_token="user", "password")
> repo =  g.get_organization("apache").get_repo("brooklyn-server")
> first500PRs= repo.get_pulls(state="closed")[:500]
> for pr in first500PRs:
>      print pr.title, "**", pr.additions, "**", pr.deletions

*) I only looked at additions. There may be different results for
additions-subtractions (to get rid of any moved files that git couldn't
process correctly) or even additions + subtractions (if you are reviewing a
PR, you have to look at the subtractions as well)